Saturday, February 28, 2015

Scoop.it - A New Way to Gather Thoughts


Back in November I attended a conference called Agriculture Future of America Leaders Conference, or AFA's AFALC, for short. I was a participant in Track 4, the conference's latest addition to its premier leadership program. One of the breakout sessions for Track 4 was led by James Spello, a technology guru. He let us know what bits of technology were in the pipeline for consumers and which technologies on the internet would be useful for us as college students and advocates for agriculture.

One of the technologies he informed us about was called "Scoop.it", a website that allows users to gather and curate bits of internet information. As a voracious reader of online bits of news and media, I thought that getting a profile on "Scoop.it" would be a great way to organize my thoughts and also a convenient link to direct people who ask me the question, "What have you been reading lately?" 

Finally, after months of thinking about it and telling myself I should put a profile together and keep it up, I've gotten myself a "Scoop.it" account. It can be found here. Right now I have just one page that serves as a collection area for articles/news stories/videos that I found to be important or inspirational to me, personally.

In the future I hope to create other sections that reflect the bookmarks I keep on Safari. These would include mostly areas from agriculture like "pesticides", "plant science", "soil science", etc. My hope is that by me curating these little collections I could help people find credible information on hot button issues causing a stir in agriculture and ag's consumer base. 

From what I've done with the site this week, I am really enjoying Scoop.it and encourage you to make a profile as well if you're interested in keeping a more visual record of your bookmarks or are interested in generating response from certain audiences. 

No comments:

Post a Comment